My Mission

I served as a missionary in Sweden for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints from May 1978 to June 1980. I chose to donate my time for two years to bear witness to those I contacted the reality of the life and mission of Jesus Christ, including all he has done in restoring his true gospel on the earth in recent times. Although it was many years ago, I still hold stongly to the purpose and memories of that wonderful experience.

This blog is intended to give an overview of my experiences in Sweden, and to offer to anyone interested further information regarding my testimony of Jesus Christ.


Experiences and Conversions

As most missionaries do, I had many faith-building experiences and was able to participate in the conversion of some wonderful people to the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I'll recall some of them here.

The first, important conversion was that of myself. I was already strong in my testimony (see My Testimony posts) before entering the mission field, but the entire mission experience served to strengthen me to a deeper level of love and appreciation for, and dedication to, those things I knew in my heart to be true. I was converted to the importance of maintaining a relationship with the Savior and staying true to Him and the gospel throughout my life.

Early in my mission I was blessed to feel His love, while participating in a sacred ordinance. Following the baptism of a girl in the Lulea branch of the Church in northern Sweden, I joined the circle of priesthood holders to lay our hands on her head and confirm her a member of the church, and grant unto her a blessing to recieve the Gift of the Holy Ghost. While this occured, I sensed a strong and very real sensation of warmth around my shoulders, as if someone had their arm on me. I knew there was no standing behind me, but I had a stong feeling that is was the spiritual arm of the Savior, letting me know that I was in the right place, doing what the Lord wanted me to do, and that he would be with me and strengthen me during my mission. It was a powerful experience that even 30 years later I still hold dear to my heart.

More to come...

No comments: